Selected Response Item Formats and Examples
Matching Multiple Choice True-False
Check all Responses that Apply Mark a Visual Field
True-False items require determining into which of two categories—true or false—a statement falls. The same format may be used for other dichotomous categories such as correct-incorrect, fact-opinion, yes-no, plausible-implausible, etc.
- Efficient in terms of testing time
- More likely to encourage guessing
- Include only one concept in each statement
- Avoid phrasing in the negative
- Create a roughly equivalent number of true items and false items
- Avoid signaling the correct response through differences in statement length or complexity of language
Music Activity 3
Back to Top
Copyright © 2006 Maryland State Department of Education. 200 West Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201
All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of these materials is prohibited.